The first mentions of Hegyszentmárton in written documents were in the 14th century, first as S. Martinus de Monte, later as Villa Zenthmarton. Hegyszentmárton was inhabited even in Turkish times; its population has been of Hungarian ethnicity since then.
In 1930, another two settlements were annexed to Hegyszentmárton: Alsóegerszeg and Monyorósd, presently Egerszeg Street and Monyorósd Street within the village. Two lakes await anglers in the vicinity of the village.
The sacral life of Hegyszentmárton is assisted by a cemetery chapel and a belfry consecrated to the honour of St. Paul. The chapel is a station of the international St. Martin Route. A resort village has been established on the vineyard hill, the village fete day is organised in September each year. Most of the local inhabitants are farmers; they have recently created a small fishing lake.