The first written document mentioning the name of the village – as Markfalva – is a certificate from 1332.
After the expulsion of the Turks Márfa became the domain of Count János Droskovich and after 1698 it was the domain of a soldier named Caprara Aeneas. Still later the village was owned by the Batthyány and then the Benyovszky family.
According to the available written documents, Márfa is probably a settlement inhabited by ethnic Hungarians from the beginning, its Protestant congregation remaining true to its religion even after the counter-reformation. The main sight of interest of Márfa, the Protestant church, was built in 1826.