Günzer Family Winery
- Wine tasting
- Cellar visit
Description of the cellar
The Günzer Family Wine Estate is a traditional family-owned vine and winemaker. Its seeds were sown by Zoltán Günzer in 1990. Viticulture has a longstanding tradition in Swabian families. It was at the beginning of the 90s that the Günzer Family Wine Estate started to gain serious momentum with its modest 0.5 hectares of land. Today, they manage a vineyard of 25 hectares. The first Günzer bottle, from its very own Cabernet Sauvignon and Portugieser plantations, was placed on the market in 1993.
Today, capacity has reached a rate of 200,000 bottles per year. In spite of this significant growth, the Günzer Family Wine Estate continues to operate under the family’s management with democratic work-sharing principles.
The father and son are responsible for vine and wine, and trade and marketing. The ladies, in turn, are responsible for hospitality. The winery can be visited in person and guests are greeted with delicious snacks, wine tasting, and individual programs.
The smaller the berry, the fruitier the wine!
Good wine does not require magic, but consumers need to be aware that wine cannot be made for 50 cents. To make wine we need grapes, and the following 5 points summarise the “Günzer-values” of winemaking:
– The localities of the grapes and hillsides matter
– The amount of sunshine and the quality of the soil are important
– Crop load and crop control in grapevines are very important (1 vine = 1 bottle of
– The date of the harvest is key
– and the most important selection: cluster and berry
Small cluster and small berry – mighty flavour!
It’s thought-provoking how important the size of a cluster and the size of the berries on a cluster are to the wine’s palate, fruitiness, and concentration. For the last 15 years the Günzer Family Wine Estate has almost exclusively planted grape clones – primarily of the Cabernet Franc variety – that produce small clusters and small berries. This is how the maximum fruity flavour can be achieved, even in the premium category.
- Günzer Lezser Portugieser - Villányi borverseny, 2014 - Arany érem, Legjobb portugieser díj
- Günzer Lezser Portugieser - Újbor verseny, 2018 - Arany érem, Legjobb újbor
- Günzer Lezser Portugieser - Villányi borverseny, 2019 - Nagy Arany érem
- Günzer Lezser Portugieser - Portugieser du Monde, 2019 - Champion díj
- Günzer Cabernet Sauvignon - Szegedi Borfesztivál Borversenye 2019, - Arany érem, Legszebb vörösbor
- Günzer Kadarka - Nemzetközi Kadarka Nagydíj, 2016 - Arany érem, Legszebb Kadarka
- Günzer Ördögárok - Országos borverseny 2015 - Nagy Arany érem
- Günzer Ördögárok - Syngenta 2016 - Nagy Arany érem