Főoldal Villány Wine Region Sights of interest Máriagyűd, a place of pilgrimage

Máriagyűd, a place of pilgrimage

Because thou hast been crowned by the Holy Trinity

The name of Máriagyűd originates from the Chieftain Gyöd, who arrived with the conquering Hungarian tribes.

Prior to that a spring had already existed here – alongside the Roman road –, where a statue of Mary statue was erected, and the place was respected as a sanctuary by travellers and locals alike.

Benedictine monks found the Mary statue, a site visited by pilgrims in 1006, and erected a chapel above it.

In 1148 King Géza II had a church built in this place.

In medieval times it was turned into a Protestant place of worship by the lord of Siklós Fortress, Péter Perényi. It had difficult times during the Turkish occupation. The statue of Mary was lost. After the battle of Nagyharsány the region was liberated from Turkish rule, and frequent appearances by Mary grabbed the fascination of the people. Catholic believers started to reclaim the church.

In 1698 a new statue was located in the church, but it was transported to Eszék (now Osijek, in Croatia) in order to save it from the raiding Serbs. It can still be seen there, in the Franciscan church.

Following the appearances of 1706, the statue of Mary was placed here as a donation by the then diocesan bishop.

The church was enlarged by the Franciscan order in the 18th century and consecrated in 1742. Another break in its history was the edict by Joseph II that the place of pilgrimage should be closed. In the register of the confiscated objects we find 302 unexpected recoveries, 106 crutches, 1,724 silver relics, clothes lined with gold and silver worn by priests, and two hundred kilos of gold and silver objects.

In 1805 Pope Pius VII acknowledged the site as a place of pilgrimage.

Máriagyűd is now one of the most popular places of pilgrimage in Hungary, due to the frequent hearings of the prayers by and the appearances of Mary in the 17th century. Records say that the Virgin Mary first appeared to a Catholic farmer called Tamás (Thomas), later to the governor of Siklós, a man called Mátyás (Matthias).

The twin spired, Baroque-style Roman Catholic pilgrimage church was given the status of Basilica Minor by Pope Benedict XVI.

The church can be visited on weekdays, from 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Entry is free of charge!

Further information is available at www.mariagyud.extra.hu

This is also the starting point of the Butcher's Broom - educational path (Csodabogyó tanösvény)