Mosque of Malkoch Bey
This mosque which is only a few minutes’ walk from the castle, was erected by Malkoch Bey, a high-ranking Turkish person, in the second part of the 16th century. The exact time of its construction is not known, but with the knowledge of the founder, it can be reduced to 1543-1565.
Over time, its condition deteriorated greatly and it was built into a residential building. Its remains were discovered in 1969, and reconstruction soon began.
Behind the apparent destruction, archaeological research has found the original structural order of the building and its rich artefacts.
Despite the multiple alterations, it has essentially retained its original Turkish character in its appearance and subforms of its interior.
The standard of the restoration was appreciated in 1993 with the Europa Nostra Prize, which is awarded each year for the restoration of an architectural monument.